Friday, July 10, 2009

Refuling vs Overtaking

Brad Spurgeon eavesdrops on Pat Simmonds:
“We were talking about overtaking earlier,” he added, “and I think there is too much reliance on strategy to be used for overtaking. And this is one of the things that I think I saw at Silverstone; people had similar performance and they were thinking, well, I have a couple of laps in this car so I will just push for two laps and I will get in front of him in the pit stops. But without refueling maybe we will see a bit more racing. I think we have to keep an open mind. Let’s try it for a few years.”
Interesting thought, that. However I think that for the most part the lack of overtaking is due more to fancy cars that get unhappy in unstable airflows, rather than any passiveness on the part of the drivers.

Taking the strategy out of it might encourage more attempts, but I rather doubt that many of them will succeed, and we will end up with more collisions at the end of the day than anything else.

...although the media would argue that collisions make for good press.

Personally I'd get rid of refueling on safety grounds more than anything else, and then see about making the rules such that the cars can actually pass each other.