Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Irrational

People who have known me a long time know I have an irrational affection for Jean Alesi. I have been a fan since his first year at Tyrrel Racing, when he had the nerve to cut back underneath and re-pass Ayrton Senna in Phoenix. His style, his passion, his ability to drag Ferrari cars around much faster than they had any business going -- it all appealed to me. I always thought that if Gilles Villeneuve had a spiritual successor, it was Alesi. Alesi only scored one Formula One win, in Montreal's 1995 race. I was there when it happened, in the GA area at the first hairpin.

So I'm pleased to note that Alesi may be getting involved with a different branch of Ferrari, AF Corse, which runs a GT2 car in the International Grand Turismo Championship series. Alesi participated in a test this week that went very well, and all parties are optimistic that Alesi will be a part of the 2010 program.